Sunday, November 15, 2009

There's NO food in the house!

The Grinch left a crumb that's even too small for a mouse! I think we've all had this thought - it goes hand in hand with "I have NOTHING to wear."

My church has been doing a series called RESET the last few weeks (click the RESET button for more details). It is a lot about finances and the recession etc. We were reminded of what the definition of "being rich" is - having more than you need. This has hit home for me. I'm so guilty of running to the store to pick up stuff when I feel like it, even if I am doing so in a cheap fashion. So, I went home and reorganized my cabinets and fridge and decided to commit to making a meal out of the smorgasbord of things I had.

I found several meal options in my stores. I decided on broccoli soup with garlic bread and salad. I had bought the can of soup on a whim and forgotten I had it. The garlic bread was leftover in the freezer from another meal, and we had bagged salad in the fridge.

I heated the soup on the stove and popped the garlic bread in the oven. I then threw a little shredded cheese on the soup.

This is what I came up with:


Cost Estimate/Breakdown

Can of soup: $1
Leftover Bread: 1/2 $1.50 box of bread = $.75
1/2 bag of salad: $1.50

Total cost: $3.25/2 = $1.63 a person

So the next time you say "There's no food in the house!" Just take a look and see what you have. You might be pleasantly surprised to see how rich you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment