Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Open up: Chili and cornbread

This isn't from scratch, but just a quick example of a tasty meal that requires little more than opening some packaging. Yes, of course we would all like to eat organic home cooked meals at all times, but I am here to show you how it is possible to eat cheap with some variety!

Start with a can of Chili and a box of Jiffy cornbread mix.

Corn Muffins:
Follow the directions on the box. Now, I hate crumbly cornbread. I'm already a hot mess without having to brush crumbs off my top. My little secret is to add 50% more milk or water than the box suggests. It makes them more moist and less thirst inducing. Everything else remains the same.


Chili:
Open up a can of chili and heat it up on the stove. You can use any kind of chili you like. I used Ralph's Chili with Beans. I added water because I thought it was a little pasty thick. I wanted more of a soup chili than a topping chili.

We put the hot corn muffins right into the chili. It was delicious.

Cost Breakdown:
Can of Chili (Ralph's): $1
Corn muffin mix (Ralph's): $0.33
= $1.33/2= $0.67 a person

No comments:

Post a Comment