Wednesday, August 5, 2009

It's like opening a can of money

Ok...Maybe not that lucrative or easy. But, I take my recycling in for cash. I figure if I'm gonna save the earth, I may as well get some milk money.

Today Zell and I took cans and bottles to the Vons on Lyons. It's pretty easy - just take the tops off of all bottles and separate by type. (For some reason, the recycling place at this Vons is no longer accepting glass which is what used to get me the most money.)The employees will then weigh each can and add it up. And by can I mean can full of cans. Not individual cans. They will hand you a receipt that you take inside the grocery store and a cashier will give you cash. It also works as a form of payment in the store!

Granted, it isn't a lot of money. But when you don't have much, every little bit helps! We got $5.46, which was more than enough when we went to the Post Office to ship a DVD and buy the postcard stamps I needed. Other times, I've taken myself to lunch. Or Happy Hour. Or Zell could have purchased Turtles in Time: Reshelled for the XBox 360.

You too can find a location that takes your discarded cans and bottles and gives you that cash money.

2 comments:

  1. Recycling cans is seriously how my dad paid for my tuition! He just... started recycling when I was a baby. So yeah, it takes awhile but it adds up -- my degree is proof!

    ReplyDelete